What is a bean bag chair? The chair is also known as the Sacco chair, is a big fabric bag filled with beans or polystyrene. The anatomic chair you can form in different shapes.
The bean bag originates from Italy, designed by Franco Teodoro, Cesare Paolini, and Piero Gatti back in 1968, inspired by the modernism art movement. The best part is you can make one for yourself if you prefer not to buy one.
So get started with the following guide to create your own Sacco chair today right here.
A Guide to What is a Bean Bag Chair and How To Make It
As the introduction states, you already know by now where the bean bag originates from. Using one in the home is funky with its comfy squishy feeling. The chair has a portable design to take anywhere and creates a casual environment for all to relax.
Furthermore, you can make one easy to fit in with your decor style in different shades, patterns, sizes, and fillings. For example, you can create one for your outdoor or indoor seating. Or you can make one for gaming. The choices are endless.
So before you start with your DIY bean bag chair project, there are some things you need to know about making a Sacco chair.
What Bean Bag Do You Want?
Before you plan to make one, it helps to know what type of chair you want. In the bean bag collection, you can find:
- Round bean chairs look like a ball when spread out. It is a standard bean bag you can use anywhere from the bedroom, entertainment to the living room. While the chair provides little support for your back and arms, you can use them to place your feet on relaxing on your sofa.
- The square bean bag chair looks similar to your recliner with an armrest and backrest. The seating is ideal for adults supporting the body.
- The gaming bean bag chair is made for avid gamers structured like your computer gaming chairs made for comfort. You can even find these chairs equipped with speakers.
- Your body bean bag chair has a rectangular shape to sit or lay on and has a long design allowing several people to sit on it. In contrast, the oversized bean bag is an enormous version of your round bags.
What Size Anatomic Chair Do You Need?
You need to know what size you want to make to fit your living style with the shape.
- It would be best to have a smaller bean bag for kids that meets their needs unless you’re a small adult. These chairs measure 110 x 120 inches in circumference, suitable for a person above 4 ½ feet tall.
- The bag measures 130 x 140 inches to accommodate a young adult taller than five foot two up to five foot three inches for teenagers.
- For adults, choose a bean bag with a size of 140 x 150 inches suitable for people up to six feet tall.
- For huge people, a massive bean bag chair starting at 180 inches works well.
Great, now you know the different forms of a bean bag chair. Next is to choose the type and size. Next, you need to think about the stuffing of the chair. You can use different stuffings from foam, polystyrene to polypropylene. Some people use blankets and stuffed toys to fill up their bean bag chairs, saving loads of space in a room.
What is a Sacco Chair Made Off?
You can use different fabrics to make your bean bag chair:
- Faux Leather
- Indoor/Outdoor Fabric
- Faux Suede
- Faux Fur
- Real Leather
- Designer Velvet
- Patterned Fabrics
- Luxury Chenille
When selecting a fabric to make your bean bag chair, it all comes down to your needs, from how easy it is to clean, your decor style, and who will be using it for a child or adult. So you need to select a fabric that fits in with your decor color scheme.
Bean Bag DIY Tutorial
Now that you know wh is a bean bag chair is and select your style, size, and material, follow these helpful tips to make one yourself.
- You will need about eight bags of bean filler of choice.
- Two canvas drop cloths 6 feet x 9 feet
However, always consider the size you want to use as it may end up looking bigger than expected. For some excellent bean bag chair templates, you can click here to find one that suits your needs.
What You Will Need Extra:
- Sewing Machine, needle, and pins
- Scissors and a long ruler
- Two canvas drop cloths measuring 6 x 9 feet each
- Thread either upholstery or Perle cotton
Instructions to Make Your Chair
- Fold the one corner of your cloth to reach the opposite edge and cut it into a square. Cut following the edge folder over and repeat with your second drop.
- Next, pin the two cloth pieces using your pins with the right sides together. Leave a 15-inch pace unsewn to fill it up with your filling.
- Sew around the edges, leaving a one-inch seam, and make sure to backstitch both the ends with the 15-inch opening.
- Next, sew again around the shape about a ¼ inch out from your first seam.
- Now open each corner by opening the fabric and folding it for the two seams to align, leaving them centered coming from the middle of your opposite two sides.
- Next, measure 18 inches from the corner on both sides and mark it using your ruler to form an angled line from the two points. Cut corners off by following the marked lines.
- Pin and sew the edges together you cut two times with backstitching across the seam at the middle.
- Next, turn your bean bag inside out and fill it with the filling. Get someone to help hold the bag while you fill it and use enough stuffing to make it comfortable but not too full.
- Once filled, fold it under your seam allowance and sew it closed. Use your Perle cotton and beeswax for added strength using a slip stitch and a needle. For added strength, you can use an overcast stitch across the seam.
A great tip is to make a removable cover following all the steps, and you can do this using old sheets. You can make it the same size but leave the opening 24 inches to use with a zipper.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
First, decide if you want to use your bean bag chair inside or outside the home. Then choose a size suitable for either adults or kids. Next, consider the shape, functionality, fabric, filling, stitching, and if it has a cover, you can remove it for cleaning.
The best way for comfort is the laying down position, but it depends on the type of bean bag chair you have. Sit down and roll along the back as you would sit in a recliner for maximum comfort.
The shape is essential as you find it in different shapes and sizes. Furthermore, it helps to try and match the one you plan to buy on how you want to use it. For example, you need a bean bag providing an upright seating position for gaming, but watching movies; a lounger one works better.