It is very important to buy the best Ethernet cable for obtaining better performance. Choosing the right cable might be a daunting task. This is because of the many manufacturers and vendors in the market. Typically, they come in different shapes and sizes. However, they serve the same purpose of connecting devices with a network like an internet
Different suppliers have designed these cables in different colors and lengths. Therefore, it is not had to pick the one that will suit your needs, and probably the color of your device. On the other hand, it is very important to know the exact cable you need. This is because if you under-specify, then you will have poor performance. In some cases, it will not even work as intended.
Another major problem is when you over-specify the cable and you end up paying too much. Selecting the right cable will offer you better performance. Nonetheless, if you are not yet sure about what to buy, then you are in the right place. We shall leave you schooled and a step wiser. You should meet the value for money.
When were the ethernet cables invented?
To break down the Ethernet cable for better comprehension, then we need to discuss when it was invented and the people behind the invention. Is it used according to its purpose? Let us look into it. There is no doubt that these cables are commonly used for local area networking in the entire world.
Market surveys have proven that hundreds of Ethernet repeater ports, network interface cards, and switching ports are already sold out and the market is growing every day. In the year 1998, Ethernet reached 25-years of service and has witnessed great growth in computer technology over those years.
Additionally, Ethernet has been continuously reinvented to meet the new growing need for networking technology. With the above information, we hope you are enlightened on the discovery and subsequent development of the cable. It is very important to mention that Metcalfe I behind this great innovation.
Advantages and Disadvantages of the Ethernet Cable?
Since it is LAN technology, durability, speed, maintenance cost, quality, and data transfer are some of the important parameters you should consider before you remove your wallet. Let us look at some of the advantages of Ethernet cables;
- Ethernet is not costly compared to other possible ways of connecting the computer
- It is not procedural to a client-server architecture
- It does not rely on hubs and switches
- Administration and maintenance are pretty simple
- Cables used in connecting the system do not produce noise
- Since there is no noise from the cable, the data transferred is of good quality
- You can use the Gigabit network to transfer data at a speed of 1-100 gigabit per second.
Whatever has an advantage has a disadvantage. Well, I do not know how true is that. But this Ethernet cable has some disadvantages that you should know:
- It provides non-deterministic service
- It does not support real-time applications since it needs deterministic service
- It does not support client-server architecture
- It is not ideal for an interactive application
- When using interactive applications, you might be required to use the Danny data
- It is not suitable for any traffic sensitive applications
- Pretty difficult for troubleshooting.
What is the difference between cat 5, cat 6, and cat 7 Ethernet cables?
We all know that many electronic devices today require an internet connection. Therefore, having everything in order and well connected might be a great idea. However, there are some a few parameters, which you must consider before installation. Nonetheless, these devices can be connected with WiFi. But a wired connection might be the best. This is because it is stable and faster.
Whether you need to do cabling in your office or at home, UTP cables are the best. However, they come in various categories. These categories begin from cat 5, cat 6, up to cat 7. That means the higher the “cat” the faster the networking cable. In summary, below are some of the differences you should note;
- Cat 5e; Features a speed of 1.000 Mbit pers or 100 MHz
- Cat 6; Also comes with speed of 1.000 Mbit pers or 250 Mhz
- Cat 6a; Speed of 10.000 Mbit pers or 500 Mhz
- Cat 7; Speed 10.000 Mbit pers or 1.000 Mhz
Below are the Capabilities of Each Cable Type:
|Category||Shielding||Max Data Transmission Speed (at 100 meters)||Max Bandwidth|
|Cat 3||Unshielded||10 Mbps||16 MHz|
|Cat 5||Unshielded||10/100 Mbps||100 MHz|
|Cat 5e||Unshielded||1,000 Mbps / 1 Gbps||100 MHz|
|Cat 6||Shielded or Unshielded||1,000 Mbps / 1 Gbps||250 MHz|
|Cat 6a||Shielded||10,000 Mbps / 10 Gbps||500 MHz|
|Cat 7||Shielded||10,000 Mbps / 10 Gbps||600 MHz|
|Cat 7a||Shielded||10,000 Mbps/10 Gbps||1,000Mhz|
Typically, the main difference between these categories is speed. However, cat 6a and cat 7 have the same speed but different frequencies. In other words, frequency demonstrates how many times the signal can be transmitted through the cable.
How to Connect Your Router or Computer with an Ethernet Cable?
When starting your internet cable services, a technician might come and wire your office or home with internet cable lines and later install a modem. Therefore, it is your responsibility to make sure that your computers are set for internet access. On the other hand, if you have many computers in your office or home, then you can connect them using a router. Below are some of the steps to follow, especially if you are connecting for the first time:
- Begin by connecting one of the ends of the ethernet cable to the port of the modem indicated Ethernet or internet.
- At the back of your PC, insert the internet or Ethernet cable.
- Put another internet cable to any available port on your router, then connect the other end on the internet port of your computer. Carry out this process on each PC that requires the internet.
- Use the power button on your computer to Boot Windows. Click start then control panel.
- Type in the word network in the shown search box. Then click the network and sharing center.
- Now, double click connects to the internet. Windows might take only a few seconds, then connect your computer to the internet.
- Click start, internet explorer; try connection. On the address bar, type URL and click enter.
Following the above steps carefully, we have no doubt that you will have ample time. Try as much as possible to read different guides and compare notes. With that, you will never go wrong.
How do you choose the right ethernet cable?
The mod important thing is to consult other users or your technician. This night comes in handy considering the different types available in the market. Consider the length of the cable, quality, and data transfer speed. You can also practice quality control by buying these cables from authorized retailers.
Best Selling Ethernet Cables:
We hope by now you can not only buy the right cable but also connect to your PC. All you need is this read to guide you. We are also happy to suggest this cable. It has accomplished a track record and very popular in computer technology.